Founded in 1984, LAWS is a 501c3, non-profit organization that has earned an outstanding reputation for delivering safe-haven and a host of essential services to adults and children directly impacted by domestic and sexual violence. LAWS’ mission is to serve adults and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault; to empower, inform, and advocate for these individuals; to educate the community about domestic violence and sexual assault; and, to work towards the elimination of personal and societal violence. LAWS’ strives to offer a framework of comprehensive support services to victims of domestic and sexual violence so that they may live free from fear, anxiety, and danger.
Every year, LAWS’ staff of approximately 40 professionals, a committed group of volunteers, and a diverse Board comprised of community and business leaders, work to enhance the lives of the approximately 1,000 adult and child victims of domestic and sexual violence here in Loudoun County. Today, in addition to operating a 24/7, emergency shelter for adult and child victims, LAWS also delivers an array of services to include a 24-hour hotline, counseling, legal resources, support groups, a Child Advocacy Center, and community outreach programming. All services are provided with complete confidentiality, and at no cost to recipients. Additionally, LAWS operates a retail thrift shop (The Resourceful Woman) in downtown Leesburg.
To Apply for the positions below:
Send a cover letter and resume to LAWSHR@lcsj.org. Please no calls. Incomplete applications without resume and cover letter will not be considered. Please include position title in the email subject line. If applying for multiple positions, please send separate email for each position.
Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Work Location: Community Services Center
105 E Market St
Leesburg VA 20176
Regular/Casual: Regular (40 hrs/wk)
Salaried/Hourly: Salaried; Commensurate with experience
Maximum Hrs/Week: 40
Benefit Class: F1
Schedule: M – F, Flexible
*Comments: Evenings and weekends required
• Serve as agency expert in mission delivery, trends in related fields, and evidence-based and promising practices that support exceptional client services. Provide strategic guidance to CEO, staff and community stakeholders in these areas.
• Identify and implement strategies to ensure quality of client care, staff performance, and operational efficiencies across the organization.
• Actively participate in agency-wide budget development and oversight in assigned domains.
• Actively lead, participate in, and contribute to community, regional and state initiatives related to domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and stalking.
Operations, Quality Assurance and Compliance
• Lead ongoing audits of quality assurance practices as related to data collection, tabulation and reporting, standards of care and contract compliance.
• Lead ongoing process improvements to ensure excellence in program operations and data management.
• Ensure program and agency outcomes are met and benchmark results with industry standards and best practices in the field.
• Support negotiations and oversee implementation of all program contracts to ensure LAWS’ delivers on all areas of contract agreements, funder requirements, scope of work, timelines and all other deliverables.
• Partner with Deputy Director and Grants Manager to provide quarterly quality assurance on grants revenue and expenses, ensuring accurate use of restricted funds and cash flow projections by Finance Manager.
• Review payroll to ensure we are in compliance with fraud, waste, and abuse guidelines as well as all other policies related to payroll and human resources.
Program Development and Community Relations
• Collaborate with staff in solicitations, cultivation, and reporting to private funders, community, and other stakeholders.
• Build and maintain effective strategic partnerships to enhance LAWS’ mission.
• Partner with CEO to represent LAWS in the community and create a strong, visible presence and awareness of the organization and mission across government, private and community sectors.
• Partner with collaborating agencies in the delivery, oversight, and long-term planning in advancing LAWS’ mission and programming.
Staff Leadership and Programmatic Support
• Provide day-to-day oversight and support to ensure program leaders deliver services in accordance with LAWS’ mission, values, agency policies, and all applicable Federal, State, and County laws and requirements.
• Work with Human Resources to create and maintain an organizational climate that attracts, motivates and retains diverse, high quality staff who have clear understanding and motivation to thrive in roles and responsibilities.
• Motivate program staff to deliver services in collaborative, innovative, and sustainable ways.
• Ensure clear and timely communication of agency expectations and policies to staff.
• Actively and proactively build staff and teams in areas of engagement, mission connection, leadership, trauma-informed client service delivery, supervision, and effective decision making.
• Lead/participate in staff meetings to stay informed of client, staff and programmatic needs.
• Supervise assigned direct reports via individual supervision that fosters professional development and growth, employs reflective and trauma-informed supervision practices, and holds staff accountable for their performance.
• Provide program oversight to ensure grant compliance and completion of program objectives for all agency programs. Ensure that all required reports are submitted on time and that VAdata entries are complete.
• Ensure all expenses are approved according to their grant funding.
• Ensure there is no fraud, waste, or abuse or supplantation of grant funding.
• Approve expenditures according to grant budgets.
• Work with grant manager on budget amendments.
• Work with grant manager on grant proposals.
• A contact for aegis, police, and other security companies.
• Demonstrate alignment and passion for LAWS’ mission.
• In partnership with staff, assist with LAWS’ client and community events.
• Compile and report relevant data and statistics as necessary.
• Maintain current industry knowledge and best practices.
• Adhere to agency policies and procedures.
• Serve as a back-up support for CEO and other management team as needed.
• Lead Accreditation effort for upcoming accreditation. Ensure all accreditation standards are met. Lead accreditation application process.
• Participate in agency volunteer/staff training.
• Back up on call in emergencies.
Other duties, as assigned.
Position description subject to change.
Education Level: Master’s
Disciplines: Social Work, Non-Profit Management, Business
Yrs Experience: 6
Comments: Must have prior experience working in a victim services agency; must have knowledge of basic funding/financial aspects of organizational management and experience working with a non-profit board of directors.
Preferred Qualifications and Special Notes
Experience with domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse or stalking victim services; Masters Degree in non-profit administration or human services field.
Post-Conditional Offer Contingencies
Clear criminal background, CPS background check, sex offender registry check and motor vehicles record check.