LAWS Volunteer Program
LAWS has an active group of approximately 75 volunteers who donate their time and services to help us assist victims of domestic and sexual violence. We have a variety of programs that provide many different ways for volunteers to contribute their time & talent. We have a variety of volunteer opportunities during daytime and evening hours, as well as weekends.
All of our volunteers must complete a 32 hour training series that we hold typically in the fall and in the spring. The training covers the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault, legal aspects of family violence, reflective listening, cultural competence and considerations when working with victims of domestic and sexual violence, our system’s response to domestic and sexual violence, and much more.
How Do I Become a LAWS Volunteer?
To sign up as a volunteer and to participate in the training series, prospective volunteers first complete our Volunteer Application. Completed applications can be returned volunteer.info@LCSJ.org, faxed to 703-771-7865, or mailed to:
Loudoun Abused Women’s Shelter
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
105 East Market St
Leesburg, VA 20176
Once we receive your application, we will contact you and to give you more information about our training series. All prospective volunteers must also complete an interview prior to beginning our training series and must also successfully complete child abuse registry, sex offender registry, and criminal background checks.
What Opportunities are Available?
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Child Care
- Maintenance (minor household repairs, yard work, painting, etc)
- Transportation (driving shelter residents to/from appointments)
- Assist counselors is preparing for support groups
- Greeting guests attending support groups and events
- Participate in community outreach events, like community fairs
- Administrative tasks
- Reception services (greet guests & clients, answer phones)
- Data entry
- Court Accompaniment
- The Resourceful Woman Thrift Store support activities